This four-day course, hosted by CHAMPS and the Denver Medical Society (DMS), is an intensive, conversational and medical Spanish workshop targeted to clinical personnel. The course curriculum provides an experience of immersion learning, an approach that has proven to be extremely suitable for those with limited time who must immediately use their new language skills with their Spanish-speaking clients.
Course Instructors: Rios and Associates teaches skill levels from beginner to advanced. Two skill levels with be offered during this training. Rios Associates has been successfully presenting intensive medical language and cultural workshops throughout the United States since 1983.
- Acquire/strengthen ability to interview patients in Spanish, take a medical history, conduct a physical exam, give prescriptions and follow-up instructions, and intervene with medical emergencies
- Be exposed to a Spanish vocabulary of at least 1,500 general and medical words
- Develop a good flow of speech in present, future, and past tenses, and command forms
- Develop an awareness of differences in attitudes between Latinos and other Americans concerning time, space, clothing, foods, health, and medical care
- Develop skills to continue language acquisition through daily practice and experience
- Intermediate students will be able to do all of the above using more idioms, complex tenses and moods (conditional, present and past progressive, present and past perfect tenses plus subjunctive mood and its tenses)
Audience: Physicians, PAs, NPs, nurses, medical assistants, dentists, pharmacists, behavioral health providers, and other clinical personnel
Cost: $499 for CHAMPS and/or DMS Members, and $599 for Non-Members not including travel, lodging and most meal expenses
Location: Denver Medical Society, 1850 Williams Street, Denver, Colorado, 80218
Date and Time: Friday, April 20-Monday, April 23, 2012; 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. each day.
Registration: Complete the registration form and self assesment and mail or fax it to CHAMPS by April 2, 2012
For more information, contact Stephanie Booker at stephanie@CHAMPSonline.org.
This program is presented by Community Health Association of Mountain/Plains States (CHAMPS) in partnership with the Denver Medical Society.